Social media is one of the best ways to amplify your brand and the great content you’re creating. But it isn’t enough to just post content to social whenever you feel like it. Some times are better than others.
So, what are the best hours to post on each social media channel?
Unfortunately, there’s no perfect answer. People browse each social network differently, and businesses may find different days and times work best for them.
Good post timing depends on the platform you’re using, as well as on how your target audience interacts with that platform, the regions and corresponding time zones you’re targeting, and your marketing goals (e.g., clickthroughs versus shares).
However, there is ample data out there on the best time to post on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The great folks at CoSchedule recently looked at a combination of its own original data and more than a dozen studies on this very topic — from the likes of Buffer and Quintly, just to name a couple — and created a helpful list of ideal posting times based on industry trends across today’s most popular social networks. The industries they analysed include:
- Higher Education
Bookmark this post as a go-to set of guidelines, and refer to it next time you need to find the optimal posting times for your business.
Best Times to Post on Social Media:
The best times to post on social media are different with every social network and what type of audience you want to engage with. Facebook and Twitter both see high engagement at 9:00 AM, whereas one of the best times to post on Instagram is 5:00 PM. LinkedIn caters to B2B audiences, with an ideal posting time of 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
With many businesses facing a growing global audience, varying time zones have become a growing concern, especially when it comes to the best times to post.
If you’re targeting users in a specific region, conduct some research to find out where they live and which social media channels they’re using. That kind of data is available through studies like Smart Insights’ Global Social Media Research Summary, or We Are Social’s annual Digital Global Overview.
1. Best Time to Post on Instagram
- Instagram is meant for use on mobile devices. Approximately 60% of its U.S. users use the app daily, though it would appear that many engage with content more during off-work hours than during the workday.
- On average, the best times to post on Instagram across industries are 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM, during lunch and the end of the typical work day, respectively.
- B2B organisations have the most times of high-clickthrough rates to choose from: 12:00 – 1:00 PM, 5:00 – 6:00 PM, and even as late as 8:00 – 9:00 PM when people are winding down for the day.
- The best day to post on Instagram is Friday.
2. Best Time to Post on Facebook
- People log in to Facebook on both mobile devices and desktop computers, both at work and at home. How it’s used depends heavily on the audience.
- On average, the best time to post across industries is 9:00 AM, when people are just starting work and going online for the first time.
- Facebook sees another increase in clickthrough rates between 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM, when folks are take their lunch break.
- The hours of 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM are also promising posting times for B2C, B2B, software, and higher-ed organisations.
- The best days to post on Facebook are Thursday to Sunday.
3. Best Time to Post on Twitter
- Like Facebook, people use Twitter on both mobile devices and desktop computers, both at work and at home. How it’s used also depends heavily on audience — but people often treat it like an RSS feed, and something to read during downtimes in their day, like commutes, work breaks, and so on.
- Good times to tweet average around 8:00 – 10:00 AM, as well as 6:00 – 9:00 PM — which makes sense, given that it correlates with both morning and evening commutes.
- B2C companies have the most hours to choose from where they would see heightened clickthrough rates on their content: 8:00 – 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, and then 7:00 – 9:00 PM.If your goal is to maximise retweets and clickthroughs, aim for noon or 5–6 p.m.
- For B2C companies, the best days to tweet are weekends. For B2B companies, the best days to tweet are weekdays. Coincidence? Not really. If you think about it, people shop for business needs when they’re working (weekdays) and personal needs when they’re off work (weekends).
4. Best Time to Post on LinkedIn
- Roughly 25% of UK adults use LinkedIn, largely for professional purposes, during weekdays and the work hours. It’s used with slightly less frequency than some of the other channels on this list.
- Aim to post on LinkedIn between 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM.B2C, media, and higher-ed organisations have the narrowest windows for when to post for maximum performance: 12:00 PM, 8:00 AM, and 10:00 AM are their best times, respectively.
- The best day to post on LinkedIn is Wednesday.